You may understand part of this Challenge by now, having seen it on Facebook or my blog description. Allow me to give some background on this:
This is NaNoWriMo--National Novel Writing Month. A whole month-long challenge where the goal is for writers to complete an entire novel in 30 days. I am not a wonderful writer. All my story plots have holes, lame parts, and a lack of originality.
I prefer to paint. I've fiddled around with watercolors since 2002 or so, and comparing my early pictures with the more recent ones there has been quite an improvement! But lately, between my job, working around the house, distracting books, and friends, my artwork has been suffering. I don't seem to have the time to sit down and paint!
Why is there not something similar to NaNoWriMo for artists, a Challenge that will help them develop their skills? Maybe there is, somewhere, but would it fit my schedule? Would it be easy, flexible, and still effective? Could I do it with friends, would there be online interaction, would I follow through to the end?
That's the origin.
The challenge is to draw for ten minutes a day, six days a week, all 52 weeks of 2012. By December 31st, 2012, you will have spent about two days and four hours on this project! You will have 312(pictures)in366(days). (Next year is a leap year. :)
My Goals for this Challenge are:
- To develop my drawing, painting, and other art skills.
- To start a semi-successful blog (I don't dare hope for more!) about the Challenge, and blog about my work at least once a week from January to December--preferably twice a week.
- To connect with other artists of varying skill levels, giving tips on what I know and receiving tips on what I need help with.
- To have a sketchbook with 312 drawings in it by December 31st, 2012.
- To have these ten minute segments each day become such a part of my routine that I automatically continue them into 2013!
Here are the Rules and Guidelines for the challenge.
These goals may change as the Challenge progresses, but that is what they are for starters. Are you interested in joining in? Ten minutes a day really isn't that much to set aside! Please at least start with me. All of you reading this after January 1st....You're welcome to hop in also!
What are your goals for this Challenge?